The Detroit Land Bank Authority is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, or other criteria prohibited by the City, State or Federal law.
To qualify for a job, an applicant must meet the education, training, experience and any applicable license or certificate requirement for the job position. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide acceptable proof of their work record and history.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY
Lead and oversee specific accounting processes that support the timeliness and accuracy of the Financial Statements. Perform variance analysis of financial statements, including the examination, analysis, maintenance, reconciliation, and verification of financial records. Meet deadlines associated with accounting research and resolution of discrepancies. Actively participate in the implementation of new accounting system. Lead facilitated meetings with all levels within the organization. Lead/support process changes to support timely and accurate Financial Reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee an entire process (i.e., Month end, Reconciliation, Management Reporting, Treasury Duties, Budgeting, External Reporting)
- Be the point person for Lead on a process
- Lead process improvement efforts
- Support day-to-day departmental functions
- Complete month-end closing
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts
- Work with auditor compliance for financial reporting requirements.
- Recommend changes in accounting systems and procedures.
- Prepare financial statements
- Assist with training staff
- Assist with preparation for the audit process
- Assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Perform special accounting assignments and other related duties as assigned by Controller and/or Chief Financial Officer
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting required
o Thorough understanding of US GAAP;
o Thorough understanding of sub-ledger to general ledger relationship
- CPA license, preferred.
- 3 to 5 years in inventory accounting or related accounting experience
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate, and foundation grants is essential.
- Solid analytical, problem solving and decision making skills along with strong attention to detail
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- Ability to communicate well with all levels of the organization
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret governmental regulations.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize essential while working as part of the team or independently
- Knowledge of HUD federal funding rules and regulations
- Reliable, dependable, courteous
- Must be able to keep all accounting information confidential
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills
- Work well with others, including management
- Must be willing to work the hours necessary to complete the job
- Proficient in spreadsheet applications, knowledge of QuickBooks/Salesforce and other ERP systems (i.e., SAP) preferred